Pages

Thursday, May 7, 2009

SHWOOOSH...

So on my way home I'm riding down the Notch, just coasting along, minding my own business with no need to speed then a GAME ON moment came!

Typically if I let the bike coast with no pedaling at all, the bike can hit 30mph, so what's the need to push it? While I was coasting, I heard the sound of air. A strange "shhhhaaawooooshhh" kind of sound. Not the normal air past the ears "shhh" sound. "What is that noise?" I thought. "Is that a truck?A bus? Do I have a flat starting?" Then the roadie I just saw climbing up the other side goes shooting by my left side. Naturally I followed my first instinct. I dropped the plastic coated, friction thumb shifter into high gear and started hammering on the flat top pedals after him.

Now one might think I was trying to catch and pass Speedy Gonzales but I was on Old Ironsides, a bike not exactly known for it's speed. An upright mountain bike converted to commuter with 1.75" road tires, fenders, and a trunk bag on the rear rack will provide no contest to an aluminum (or carbon fiber) speed machine like his. In reality I just wanted to minimize how much he pulled away from me. While I kept him close on the main hill, he started to leave me as the road flattened out. In the 2.5 miles I chased him he only had me by a 1/4 mile when he turned off.

I say I'm not competitive anymore but DaMom says "If you're not the best you don't even try." This in reference to me leaving everyone of our friends in the dust on every bike ride we have tried to take. What can I say, they were so slow! I haven't done that in a real long time and ride pretty slow now. I'd say this little excursion proves I might have a little spunk left, even when it's just for ha ha's and the guy I'm racing doesn't even know he's racing.

So what's the real moral of this story? 40mph on my commuter brick is frightening as hell!

g

No comments:

Post a Comment