Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Pneumatic Gods: 3 , DaGoof: 0

Last night's ride home wasn't so much fun. Technically, it wasn't even a ride. I left the building, walked over to the bike and didn't notice anything wrong. I attached my bag to the bike and pulled the bike off the rack. Still nothing seems strange until I mount it and the bike sinks. Huh? I get off the bike and sure enough it's flat as a pancake. The tires are stiff enough that it held the bike up.


I go inside and use the air compressor to pump the tire up to see how bad the leak is. The tubes are already filled with slime and I figure a little air and the problem may resolve itself. Not so much. In less than 15 seconds all the air I put in comes out. The tire shows no massive holes but there is obviously a hole in the tube. OK, time to dismount the tire. When I separate the tube from the tire a leg of a massive staple falls out.
Note the staple on the right

"Wow that's a big chunk of ugly" I think to myself.

Pneumatic Gods: 1 , DaGoof: 0

Next I try to patch the hole. Um, yeah, that doesn't work, the patch won't stick to the slime covered tube (since it all leaked out the monstrous hole).

Pneumatic Gods: 2 , DaGoof: 0

"OK no biggie I'll just put the spare tube in." *sigh* It has an even bigger hole in it. "I give up! Sandy, can I get a ride home with you?".......

Pneumatic Gods: 3 , DaGoof: 0


When I get home I discover that I must have been riding it this way for at least a little bit as evidenced by the spray under the rack
Boy does that need to be cleaned.....
g

No comments:

Post a Comment