Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Driving Impresssions

When people go to a car show it's not a full body experience. Not that everyone is tripping because of the fumes that may be present but they aren't soaking up all the cars have to offer. To do that one must drive the vintage machinery.

While at a car show people enjoy:
  • The colors and shapes of the cars with their eyes.
  • The sounds of the engines with their ears.
  • The smell of non-emission controlled exhaust (with possibly the sweet smell of race gas) with their nose, and of course old cars just smell different.
  • The vibration of an open exhaust rumbling past is a whole body sense of touch.
  • The unfortunate taste of some old coots cigar you walked to close to when he exhaled.
That's all five senses, so how can a car show not be a full body experience? Mix all of that up and roll it into one fear filled ride!

The important thing is to drive the vehicle. Getting a ride in an old coupe from the guy who has owned it for 50 years doesn't count. He's so used to it that it's an extension of himself. The passenger would not notice the subtleties in how the car is reacting to driver input. Sure, they may be bouncing all over the seat and clutching the door since it sounds like a bucket of loose bolts but something is still missing from the experience.

The oldest vehicle I can remember driving was from the late seventies and it had power brakes and power steering. Am I dating myself, yup. Even with all of the playing around with racecars I did in my twenties I never drove an "old car". I've admired cars from the twenties through the sixties since birth and have even ridden in some but never driven such beasts.

What am I getting at? My truck is finally registered and I have actually driven it someplace at a measurable speed, not just around the yard. I've had it now for over 5 1/2 years and the odometer had read less than 8 miles different than when I bought it. I've hauled wood, leaves, rocks, flower pots and even pulled my barn down with it. None of that prepared me for the "thrill" of driving it on the open road.

1966 F-100, I-6 300ci, w/factory 4x4

It's a beast.

Things I've learned about driving it:
  • Never start in first gear on pavement, in downtown. You will be hearing the echo of your smokey burnout bouncing of the buildings.
  • Once warmed up the smell of leaked oil burning off of the manifold is rather pungent.
  • The smell of gas in the closed cab creates headaches.
  • The approximation of the steering is a riot. Old steering was never as precise as modern machines, I always wondered why my mother's 1970 Dart needed so much steering input on a straight road, now I know.
  • Braking with manual brakes, stops must be planned well in advance.
  • Depressing the pedal hard enough will lock up the brakes, put you into a four wheel drift, and stop you in a cloud of smoke.
  • At 30mph it's looking for 4th gear.
  • The engine will pull and pull and pull.
  • The steering wheel is 17 inches in diameter for a reason.
  • Downshifting takes patience.
  • All of my senses are over loaded when driving it.
The truck is 90% stock and a time capsule from another era. The pace of life was obviously slower then and this thing doesn't like to be rushed.

It is primitive but a blast to drive.

g

No comments:

Post a Comment