Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Yup it's hereditary

When I was a young I had a thing for lamps.

When I was real young, less than 2, I burned the palm of my hand grabbing an exposed light bulb.

I broke a lot of lamps before I was 4. My parents had these ugly glass globe lamps and I guess my inner eye knew these things were ugly and had to go. I must have massacred 5 or 6 of these.

My father, possessing the Yankee ingenuity gene, took a pair that I killed and rebuilt them in such a manner that I could do them no more harm. He took a section of 4 inch PVC pipe the height the globe had been and put it between the upper and lower collars that once held the globe. Then to add "style" he wrapped the pipe with blue yarn to match the living room decor of the time. I could not damaged the finished product and believe me I tried. These lamps lasted about ten years when finally it was decided they outlived their purpose and replaced.

DaBoy has taken a liking to lamps as well and tonight I came home to this...

Yes, this is a three legged lamp with one leg broken off. Yes, this lamp is made of wrought iron. Yes, DaBoy is only 18 months and 25 pounds.

So just how do I make wrought iron stronger?

g

2 comments:

  1. Wasn't it the welds that failed rather than the wrought-iron itself? Did it break when he pulled on it, or when it fell?

    The shape of that lamp is eminently grabbable - I'm not surprised he found it tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the poor quality welds broke apart from the low quality pot metal when he tossed it onto the floor. The inexpensive, big box store lamp was probably manufactured in a far east sweat shop for peanuts by untrained monkeys.

    But that doesn't make a good story now does it?

    ReplyDelete