Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

Boxes...

Why do people feel the need to open other peoples boxes?

I handle 90% of the parts that go out to be machined, fabricated, plated or painted. The other 10% are handled by our "middle eastern division" (they're in an eastern cell of the converted strip mall we're in, and the name just fits) When an item is for plating or painting I box the items, make up the parts lists, call for pick up, deal with any QC issues the vendor has and perform the incoming inspection. It is generally understood that if the white truck from the other side of the river is here, it's here for me.

So then why did a particular busy body see the need to open a box that came back from plating this afternoon?

I saw the truck pull in. I put the box on the bench in front of my cube. I knew what it was and I knew it could stay boxed up for the day. We have enough stuff spread around here and keeping the contents of that box together and wrapped up would be fine until we got to Boston to do the final install. As long as the parts were in the box they could be all scratched and hot pink and I could care less, their function would still be performed.

Now the box is gone and the parts are who knows where. I'm not even sure he signed the packing slip.

So then back to the question, why?

Is it the fear of not knowing what's inside an unopened box?

Is it the joy that comes from opening a sealed box?

Is it need to be in everyone's business?

Yeah, that's it.

g

1 comment:

  1. HAHA busy body..... I got a email today from a person today who said the same 'busy body' opened my box of parts and wanted to know what the parts were for. The employee policy should include a caffeinated drinks clause. "Caffeine should not be self-prescribed as a performance enhancing technique when there is no performance to enhance."

    ReplyDelete