Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What Do I Do?

A couple of weekends ago, while visiting my father in the hospital (yes he's still there, since Nov 7th), I realized no one really understands the stuff I design and build at work. So I think it's high time to start a little mini-series on some of the projects I do there.

First up: SRA

Take 10 pounds of stuff and cram it into a 1 pound bag.

If it's metal, it needed to be told where to go, and I did the telling.

It started life as a different system that had two receiving channels. When it was reincarnated into SRA those parts were pulled out so now there is some "extra" space.

This system required me to go down to Florida and climb into the belly of one of NOAA's P3 Hurricane Hunters to verify the pressure vessel this rats nest fits into would fit into the plane.

This is the busy side of the antenna. I had to make a frame that would bolt up to an existing faring that bolted to the airplane.

What does it do?
At present, it is a one of a kind device. It looks downward from the belly of an aircraft and measures wave heights flying through hurricanes.

Why?
The data received helps forecasters predict the intensity of the storm when it hits land.

g




No comments:

Post a Comment